The story of Grant Grade School begins in 1898 when the Spokane School
Board decided that a new school was needed in the Liberty Park
area. It would be the 15th grade school to be built in
On September 8, 1899, old Grant Grade School wasn’t ready for
students, so they started the fall schedule at the old Lincoln Grade
School near to where St. Luke’s Hospital is today at 5th and
Cowley. After the first week, on September 16th, Grades 1 - 5
walked from Lincoln Grade School to the new Grant Grade School at 10th
and Ivory where only two rooms on the first floor were ready for 118
students, 50 and 68 in two rooms. The basement was not
yet. On October 19, 1899, the Spokane School Board took bids
finish the two rooms in the basement.
1899 Original Building.
Original building had only one floor and partially finished
First Addition to Grant was the addition of a 2nd
Second Addition to Grant was the addition of a basement and
and second floors on the west.
Notice the fire escapes that were later added to the east side of the building.
|The above picture is of a
portable that the wood and metal shop was used for on the north
side. There was also a portable, also on the north side, for home
economics. These portables came in the early 1940’s.
In addition, there were two portables on the west side: one was used
for movies, plays, square dancing, etc. and the second was a classroom.
|Third Addition to Grant was the
addition of a gymnasium, multipurpose room, kitchen, art room and
offices on the south side with a hallway that connected this building
to the Ivory Street entrance. There were six classrooms
added on the west side with a stairway that connected to the first
floor of the old building.
The fourth (4) and last addition four (4) classrooms on the northeast side of the school.
Final picture taken before the building was demolished.
Demolition of Grant Grade School